Shaping the Future of
Primary Care in Guildford
Progress so far
The five options highlighted have been considered as part of a wider feasibility study looking at potential sites for new premises and the likely costs. Each option has differing impacts on the community, workforce, the CCG and the delivery of care. These are proposals at this stage and no final decisions have been made.
The feasibility study focused on options for Guildowns Group Practice (which currently operates from four sites at Wodeland Avenue, The Oaks Surgery, University Medical Centre and Stoughton Road Surgery) and Woodbridge Hill Surgery.
North and West Guildford Primary Care Site Feasibility Study [pdf, 8Mb]
A number of factors are increasingly affecting the ability of GP practices in Guildford to meet the needs of their patients:
- Population growth in Guildford.
- Guildford Borough Council has been developing its own Local Plan, which indicates significant numbers of new homes are likely to be built in the catchment area of these two practices over the next 10-15 years.
- More people are living longer often with multiple long-term health conditions that require monitoring and treatment.
- The buildings that some of our GP practices operate from do not have enough space to provide the range of additional services required for future, modern primary care.
- Some parts of the existing buildings are not accessible for all patients.
- Limited capacity to develop the growing primary care workforce.
These combined challenges mean that we need to address the pressing requirement for primary care expansion at a local level. If we do not deal with these issues, the future sustainability of these practices will be at risk.
The study concluded that four of the five options were feasible, but that no change was not a feasible option. The feasible options were:
- One site at Park Barn
- One site at the Jarvis Centre
- Two sites, at Park Barn and the Jarvis Centre
- Three sites, at Park Barn, the Jarvis Centre and retaining the existing Wodeland Avenue Surgery
What next >>>
|Page updated:||14 January 2020|
|Next review due:||12 July 2020|
|Model Publication Scheme:||Class 9: The services we commission|